Shop My Closet

Shop My Closet
Shop My Closet

My Published Articles

My Published Articles
My Published Articles

My Favorite Things

My Favorite Things
My Favorite Things

Candle to Jar DIY

Before

After!
Step One
After burning your candle, most people throw away the perfectly usable glass jar because it's filled with left over wax, however, they make great glass jars for holding everyday items. To begin, I boil water and pour it into the empty jar to loosen up the wax and the wicks. After about 20 minutes the leftover wax will have floated to the top and the wicks will be loose enough to pluck out. You can scrub the left over residue or use rubbing alcohol but I just toss it in the dishwater and let that do the rest of the cleaning work.

Step Two
Decorate your jar; I have used simply ribbon, some painted stripes with glitter glue, and as you can see the one below, I use ribbon and name cardboard I found from the $1 bin at Target.
Use to hold my sunglasses
Step Three
If you're using paint, be sure to use painters tape to line out the jar for perfect horizontal stripes and let dry overnight. You can also mod podge the stripes if you use glitter because you don't want it flaking off. I used a clear sealant on the bottom glitter gold strip in the picture below. 
Holds beauty items on my dresser top
Definitely not a difficult craft, and makes for a fun thing to do on a snowy/rainy day


1 comment

  1. This is a great idea! I love how you were able to reuse something and also find a use for all those adorable ribbons and things from the Target dollar section. I love the Target dollar section, too! How can you walk away when all the ribbons and embellishments are so cute and only a dollar? I've been hoarding a lot in my drawer, so this would be the perfect project for them:) Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog! I'm glad you stopped by, and I'm excited to follow you along, too!

    ReplyDelete