Shop My Closet

Shop My Closet
Shop My Closet

My Published Articles

My Published Articles
My Published Articles

My Favorite Things

My Favorite Things
My Favorite Things

Cooler Painting 101

A long tradition in the southern fraternity and sorority world is to paint your formal date a cooler in the spring. Not entirely sure where this started and it's honestly quite a hassle if you aren't super crafty, but over my college years I painted quite a few (here's pics of my very first and very last) and have come up with some easy steps to make the process slightly less painful.

Before painting: prime! I didn't do this with my first cooler and found that it's so much easier to start with a spray white paint primer to create an even base. 

While Painting: don't be like me and freehand everything with tiny brushes and paint, buy paint markers to make the whole ordeal much easier. Also I never did this but printing out pics from the Internet and mod podging them onto the cooler looks like you painted it and only takes 2 minutes.




Create your own custom stencils using a Pringles jar lid. I made a lobster stencil with my Pringles lid by tracing an image of a lobster and using an exacto knife to cut it out.

At the end of your cooler painting, be sure to mod podge the entire thing so that it doesn't chip. Again I found the spray formula to be the easiest....too bad I didn't realize they made spray Mod Podge until I finished my last cooler!

Also: Get great ideas from the cooler connection Facebook group and use Pinterest to find ideas!




Happy painting!

2 comments

  1. Love this tradition! I loved my sorority life but feel like it's so much more active in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, so many fun events in spring time!!

      Delete