Shop My Closet

Shop My Closet
Shop My Closet

My Published Articles

My Published Articles
My Published Articles

My Favorite Things

My Favorite Things
My Favorite Things

Lit Crit - The Wolf of Wall Street



Like most of the world, I have seen the Wolf of Wall Street movie and although it was pretty vulgar and intense, I did enjoy it. In my eyes, Martin Scorcese can do no wrong and as a little girl who was obsessed with the Titanic and Leo, I was excited for the film. Almost a year since the movie has come out, I decided to read the memoir by the real Jordan Belfort.

The first 1/4 of the book was almost identical to the movie but the film ended right after page 100. The beginning follows the tale of prostitution, illegal stocks, and his second wife, but although the movie shows the downfall drugs had on his life, they don't even touch on how in depth his life was ruined by his addiction. The book was much more depressing than the movie and I immediately felt sorry for this guy, even though he was a billionaire, there was no way I would want to have his life.

Another part of the book that went in depth was how his second child, his son, had severe heart problems when he was born and how his son's illness is what really propelled him to become sober. For anyone who has seen the movie, I suggest reading the book, even though it's insanely long, to see the other side of this story. Of course Hollywood had to glamorize certain aspects of the book to make it appeal to the masses, but the book shows a more in depth and tragic side to Jordan Belfort's story.

Final Thoughts:
3 out of 5 Books
An interesting read but at times tediously lengthy. Worth the read but no Faulkner

3 comments

  1. Awesome post! Very cool blog! Would you like us to follow eachother on GFC and keep in touch?
    I hope you have a great week ahead!
    xo from Italy,
    Sonia Verardo
    http://www.trenchcollection.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! yes just followed you, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh - I still have not seen the movie, I think I'm the only one. I'm more into easy reads (when I actually have the time to sit down, ha!) so I'm thinking now I'll just skip the book and do the movie.

    ReplyDelete