Shop My Closet

Shop My Closet
Shop My Closet

My Published Articles

My Published Articles
My Published Articles

My Favorite Things

My Favorite Things
My Favorite Things

Lit Crit: The Book Thief



I'd prefer to space out my Literary Criticisms, however, as a former Master's degree student, I can't help but read a new book every 1-2 weeks. I was only interested in The Book Thief because the movie recently became available for free on my Xfinity TV, and as a person who firmly believes that the book is always better, I wanted to read the novel before viewing the film.

Yes I actually own this
The book is set in WW2 Germany and told from the point of view of death. Interesting narrator, but oddly kind and not at all told in a deathly tone. Like that pun there? Without giving too much away it is the story of an orphan girl sent to live with two adoptive parents in the beginning of WW2. As the war progresses, they foster a teenage Jewish man and hide him in their basement. Told from the point of view of death as well as the little girl, the story is an honest and naive representation of the persecution of the Jewish race as told by a German girl in the Nazi youth. It's very rare that books strike me, being an English major in college and then pursuing a Master's in English, I read a copious amount of books a year. But this book honestly stopped me and captivated me. I found myself excited to go home and read it and even decided against a night on the town with my girlfriends in order to finish the book.

Lesiel reading to Max

Some of my favorite scenes in the novel are when Liesel, the girl, goes down to the basement to visit Max, the Jewish boy. Because Max cannot go outside and see the weather or sky,he asks Liesel to describe in depth the day and the weather. The language used is so beautiful and heartbreaking knowing that max cannot view it for himself.

“The sky is blue today, Max, and there is a big long cloud, and it's stretched out, like a rope. At the end of it, the sun islike a yellow hole. . .” ― Markus ZusakThe Book Thief


I thoroughly enjoyed the movie as well although as always it left out key developmental parts and left me saying, "the book was better"


“I guess humans like to watch a little destruction. Sand castles, houses of cards, that's where they begin. Their great skills is their capacity to escalate.” ― Markus Zusah

Final Thoughts: 5 out of 5 books
An absolute must read


No comments