Shop My Closet

Shop My Closet
Shop My Closet

My Published Articles

My Published Articles
My Published Articles

My Favorite Things

My Favorite Things
My Favorite Things

Lit Crit: Wild

I am not an outdoorsy girl in the slightest regard so when I decided to read Wild, it was mostly because I wanted to watch the movie and my English major past wouldn’t let me watch it without first divulging into the book. Despite my hatred for bugs, being dirty, and overall any hiking activities, I was shocked to have enjoyed this book so much. It is definitely about the grueling task of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail but it’s more so about a girl grieving over a failed marriage, dead mother, and overall loss of drive in her life.
 
I listened to the book on audiotape since I spend two hours of my day commuting to and from the city and found myself sobbing on highway 95 south when Cheryl Strayed (the author) described her mother dying of cancer. I didn’t think I could get so emotionally attached to a voice coming out of my radio since it’s such a different experience than reading a novel, but I was incredibly moved by Cheryl’s story that I broke down and cried when she painfully explained her mother’s painful passing. 

 
"I had diverged, digressed, wandered, and become wild. I didn't embrace the word as my new name because it defined negative aspects of my circumstances or life, but because even in my darkest days—those very days in which I was naming myself—I saw the power of the darkness. Saw that, in fact, I had strayed and that I was a stray and that from the wild places my straying had brought me, I knew things I couldn't have known before.”

The entirety of the book is so refreshing, because like myself, Cheryl was not a hiker or outdoor girl when she decided to complete the PCT, she failed multiple times on the trail and was faced with many ideas of quitting, but despite her inexperience, she completed the trail. I loved the inspirational story of a girl who has lost everything, can find herself, alone, in the beauty of nature. 

I then watched the movie, which as far as movies made after books go...it was pretty dang great. I thought Reese definitely deserved an award for her acting in the film, she was fantastic. The film incorporated a lot of the book which I appreciated and though I was very curious how they cinematically would go from the character's childhood to adulthood as seamlessly as the book, but they did an excellent job.
How wild it was to let it be

Rating: 4 out of 5 books

No comments