Shop My Closet

Shop My Closet
Shop My Closet

My Published Articles

My Published Articles
My Published Articles

My Favorite Things

My Favorite Things
My Favorite Things

Lit Crit: The Good Girl

One of my favorite concepts in the writing of Mary Kubica’s The Good Girl is that every other chapter tends to be told from the “past-Mia missing" and present- “when Mia is safely back at home.” Mia is the main character, the "good girl," and also the missing character in this novel. It's rare that books give away the ending so quickly in a story, however the reader very quickly discovers that Mia missing isn’t the most interesting part of the story. Her kidnapping tends to be more of a distraction used in the beginning of the novel to lure readers into thinking this is a murder mystery/kidnapping tale when in reality it is more about finding out not if or how Mia was kidnapped but why and why she is now safely home.
“She says that the sky was the color of persimmon and sangria, shades of red only God could make.” 
Granted the rich family with the down to earth daughter who just doesn’t fit into the 1% lifestyle is a tad overdone, I did like Mia’s character which says a lot because I tend to find narrators/main characters a bit predictable. But, I can truly say I was fully surprised by the conclusion of this novel. The only downside to this novel was that the “big reveal” was done in one sentence in a paragraph at the end of the novel and then the book was concluded. I wish as a reader I had found out a bit earlier and had time to process the information before shutting down the novel. I also hated how this novel was pinned as similar to Gone Girl because I found little to no similarities between the two novels and was disappointed with the comparison because I was expecting an equally perilous novel.

Overall I did enjoy the book and would recommend but I would encourage readers to curb their expectations and not expect a Gone Girl 2.

Rating: 3 out of 5 books




7 comments

  1. I've been wanting to read this, but very good to know that the conclusion was underwhelming. I felt the same way about Gone Girl, and was actually a tad angry at the ending to that one :-P

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this review!! I might keep it in my back pocket when the rest of my list goes down! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was definitely a good read just dont get your hopes set super high!

      Delete
  3. I'm totally in love with your blog...<3

    Would you like to follow each other?

    Kisses
    x Isabelle | Outfit Van De Dag

    ReplyDelete
  4. i havent' read this, but it's been on my list. thanks for your opinion and review on it!

    ReplyDelete