2017 Book Favorites

26 February 2018
What books do you recommend ?

This is a pretty common question I get asked by my friends. Although it depends on the person and the genre/style that they enjoy reading, there are a select few books in my "read" arsenal that I can always suggest. However, not everyone wants to read a classic piece of literature written in the 1800's no matter how noteworthy it is. New books are exciting and fresh and I dedicated 2017 to exploring new authors and genres.

2017 was also the year I actively decided to start tracking all of the books I read in a year. I made a goal of 50 books, but ending up reading 62! My goal for 2018 is to surpass last year and go for 65. If you don't already have a Good Reads account then I HIGHLY recommend you set one up. It's free and tracks all the books you have read, allows you to rate books, lets you track by % how far along you are in the book, and shows you what your friends are reading and what they rated specific books.

Of the 62 books I read in 2017, I only gave five books 5 out of 5 stars on Good Reads. These five books are my must-reads and I have included brief descriptions of each below. In addition, there are a couple that I will probably do more in depth reviews on in the future because a 1 paragraph description doesn't do the book justice. I also listed some honorable mentions I loved but didn't quite love enough to give five stars to.

One thing that Good Reads has showed me is that I primarily read historical fiction, nonfiction/memoir, and mystery/whodunit books, so I have broken down my book suggestions into those three categories.





Historical Fiction

The Underground Railroad -- Colson Whitehead
This book affected me so deeply I cannot even begin to explain its influence. It was by far the best book I read in 2017, quite possibly one of the best I've read in my entire life. The author came and spoke at my Alma Mater during my school's fall book festival and hearing him speak was so powerful. I will be doing a far more in depth review on this book in the future because I love it that much, but for now just take my word for it and immediately read this Pre Civil War novel detailing Virginia, South Carolina, and Georgia plantation life. 

The Invention of Wings -- Sue Monk Kidd
I love WWII and Civil War history so it didn't surprise me that I fell in love with this story of two sister abolitionists who flee their plantation in South Carolina to fight for the freedom of those they once owned. It's an extremely powerful and true story (I visited and toured this plantation and home in March!) that I will also be writing more about in the future.

Salt to the Sea -- Ruta Sepetys
I already stated that I enjoy wartime novels and although this one takes place during WWII, it explores how the war affected the Soviets and Eastern European refugees. The novel begins as the nazis are crumbling and WWII is reaching a conclusion. However the novel focuses on refugees fleeing from the impending Soviet Advance. Most books I had read focused on Germany or those countries conquered by Germany so it often left this part of history out; I had never heard much about how the East was affected and I felt introduced to a whole new genre of WWII books.


Memoir/Nonfiction

How To Murder Your Life -- Cat Marnell
Former beauty editor for Lucky Magazine turned hardcore drug addict...this book is absolutely insane! The author is from the DC metro area which made the first couple chapters about her childhood very relatable, there's even a shout out to Tyson's Corner Mall. However, she soon moves to NYC and becomes a big time editor at various prestigious magazines all while maintaining a horrific drug habit. The book is so outlandish it's hard to believe the events actually happened to the author but she balances the dark parts out with humor and excellent writing to make the book an easy read. Also, she lived with Nev from Catfish so read it just for those stories.

Mystery

I'm Thinking of Ending Things -- Iain Reid
This is a very short book, I read it in one night, and it has an OMG, WTF, WOAH ending that completely shocked me. Again, I read a lot of books but this one had an ending I never saw coming. The book has quite literally everything a good creepy mystery needs: a secluded farm, weird parents, an abandoned high school, and a car that breaks down on the side of the road...just a lot of eerie stuff that make it a scary and suspenseful read.

















Honorable Mentions

The Kitchen House -- Kathleen Grissom
A fascinating take on Virginia plantation life in the Pre Civil War era. The story centers around a white Irish immigrant who is orphaned upon entry into America and sold to work in the kitchen house of a Virginia plantation. As I learned, this was apparently a common and lucrative practice for slave traders to take poor, naive, white immigrants who came over from Europe and sell them to plantations for almost triple the amount of money they would make from a slave. The main character lives in an awkward limbo where she is considered beneath the white family she works for, but above the slaves she lives in a cabin with, and is often very isolated. It was a very different and interesting way to describe the horrors of plantation life through a white indentured servant.

You-- Caroline Kepnes
Of all the books I have mentioned so far, this is the best written one. You may be asking why is it only an honorable mention then? Well, quite honestly the ending ruined it for me and knocked it down to a four star review, but overall even if you only read this book, about a stalker whose stalkeee falls in love with him, for the writing alone, it will be worth it. It's easy and quick to read and disturbing enough to make you wonder if you too have a stalker out there following your every move, but not disturbing enough to make you unable to sleep at night.

Sweetbitter -- Stephanie Danler
A nonfiction book about two years in the life of recent NYC resident and waitress Stephanie as she tries to navigate the city, what she wants to do in life and how to best carry six martini glasses at once. As someone who worked her college and graduate school career in retail and customer service I could relate to so many of her horror stories from the restaurant she worked in. There's also an element of the unknown as the author goes through her quarter life crisis which is not only relevant to my current life status but comforting to know that every 20-something is still figuring out what the heck they're doing.

Hillbilly Elegy -- J.D. Vance
This book has a lot of statistics in it and reads half like a nonfiction narrative and half like a textbook. I absolutely loved that about it and as someone who currently works in politics I found the numbers, voting records, and answers into how the country is in the state its currently in, fascinating. Also, because I work so heavily in politics in my daily life, the last thing I want to do is read political stuff when I get home and am trying to relax. That's why I love that the author wrote completely in a non-partisan fashion and highlighted the highs and lows of each political party. There's no bashing or blaming, which is extremely refreshing. Also, the authors grandmother raised him in the holler of Kentucky and was a complete badass woman whose behavior makes for some great stories throughout this book.



No comments